Sunday, November 28, 2010

There was an error while gathering this information fix

Really annoying to get "There was an error while gathering this information" on System profiler, after hours looking through internet, several try and noresult, finally get it fixed, here is the step.


remove :

/System/Library/SystemProfiler/ SPPlatformReporter.spreporter
/System/Library/SystemProfiler/ SPiPlatformReporter.spreporter

get from any MacOSX DVD installation using pacifist the original for those file above, copy them from DVD to above directory, remove /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and reboot. it should get it fixed.

I got this instructions from this link, but instead using 10.4.10 DVD (as it said on that page instructions), I am using any DVD that available on my shack, and found iatkos 10.5.4, currently I am running 10.5.8 system, installed through ideneb 1.5.1.

side note : you need to have this SMBIOSEnabler.kext installed on your system too, and edit the contents of /System/Library/Extensions/SMBIOSEnabler.kext/Contents/Info.plist to reflect your system info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also experienced this error while trying to check which extensions were loaded with System Profiler.

In my case, this error was due to a permissions problem created by an attempt to manually fix another permissions problem involving Garageband. The manual fix I tried did not work anyway and I needed to make sure I can use System Profiler.

For my situation, the fix was issuing the following commands in the following order in Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

After that, the error went away and all was working again.

current

last archive