Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Intel T7300 on Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E

This is another upgrade for my 2 years old Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E. As previous project done to this low cost laptop (I got it for only US$ 320, on BestBuy sale) that changed it from Windows Vista to Windows XP and then to MacOSX Leopard 10.5.2, everything was fine except the horse power that come with this laptop, Intel T2330, is not really a horse power, more like mule power :D.

Last week, I look for the replacement of its processor, I was looking for T8100 processor initially, as other guy do the upgrade on this laptop with success ( this link ), but after looking around at ebay, this processor is still damn expensive, even used one, the price never below US$80.

Well, then I had to lower my expectations, I only need faster processor, bigger cache, and most important thing, can do virtualization, so T7300 is my next choice, if this laptop can do T8100, so it should be able to do T7300.

finally after 2 weeks restless bidding on ebay, got a bargain price at US$48, it used one but come with 30 days warranty, not bad at all.

now I am a happy user, my MacOSX Sony Vaio is run faster then before, I completely migrated my XP to run under MacOSX with Virtual machine that utilize its intel VT-x hardware virtualization, sweet.......

below pictures are for comparison of the core size between T2330, T8100 and T7300.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, this was quite nice change as I assume. I have the same laptop and preparing to change the CPU to T5750, I hope it will work - what do you think? I already have the new CPU, so just waiting for some free time and data backup. Did you change it alone or gave the laptop to some kind of service? If alone should I expect any troubles with this change???

current

last archive